On the list of the foods I was told that Emory should never eat was partially hydrogenated oils. These are the vegetable oils, corn oils, canola oils. One way to tell if the oil is good is if it hardens at room temperature. The good healthy oils will harden.
One of the healthiest, if not the healthiest oil, is Organic, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil!!
To date there are over 1500 studies proving coconut oil to be one of the healthiest foods on the planet. Coconut oil benefits and uses go beyond what most people realize. The greatest discovery to this amazing fruit is medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs. ).
When you use the Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil while cooking or in a recipe, the taste is wonderful. I have found that using it with chicken brings moisture and flavor that is an exciting adventure for taste buds. Here is a recipe for one of our favorite dishes:
Benefits of MCFAs (Medium-Chain Fatty Acids):
The list of benefits from coconut oil is lengthy, so we are going to concentrate on those that benefit those with autism.
- Digestible: This was a great point for our son for he tended to “wolf” his food down instead of chewing it first. We needed food that could be digested easily.
- Anti-microbial and Anti-fungal: Both of these points were important because of the number of times antibiotics were administered when he was a child. This meant that fungus grew easily in Emory’s colon. Coconut oil would help to combat the imbalance that existed.
- Smaller in size which allows for easier cell permeability for immediate energy: Due to the stress that Emory is constantly under because he is so very sensory, energy in a healthy form is necessary.
Some of the top coconut oil benefits include:
- Kills Candida: This was critical for Emory because he had a lot of candida by the time we found a doctor that treated the problem and not just the symptoms.
- Improves Digestion: Anything that aids digestion for Emory is a good thing.
- Improves Memory and Brain Function: Who does not need this, but a person with autism can use all of the help available.
- Prevents Gum Disease and Tooth Decay: This was extremely important to Emory because his sensory issues prevent anyone from brushing his teeth well. And flossing is completely out of the question. Since Emory has been consuming Limu (the seaweed extract) and using coconut oil, he has not had one cavity in 13 years.
Side Effects of Coconut Oil:
Rarely will there be any side effects with coconut oil. Occasionally there may be a contact allergy will occur when there is an allergy to coconuts. Coconut oil is known for reducing side effects of many medications as well as reducing the symptoms and side effects of cancer treatments.